Search for an affordable and tasty meal to be cooked in the comfort of your own kitchen by local qualified and experienced cooks and chefs. If you are renting a vacation home for a few days, a Foodom cook would be great while traveling too!
1. How does it work?
Order meals from the menu, choose add-on dishes, or specify your own recipes and/or cravings. Our cooks will even buy the groceries for you for extra charge.
Your meal is prepared in your own kitchen, your kitchen is cleaned up after the meal preparation, and the cooked food is stored safely.
Enjoy the extra free time, the tasty food customized to your specifications and the clean kitchen!
Prices include meal preparation, packing, storing and clean up after cooking. Ingredients are not included. Min order is $30, up to 10 servings.
2. Who is Foodom? Foodom was founded to provide relief for many people who find it challenging to tackle everyday meal cooking or any other type of cooking. We personally:
Have been taking our kids to endless activities everyday after school, work doesn’t leave us time to prepare a nourishing meal for the family.
Have seen how challenging it is to get the dish the way you need it at restaurants with special dietary needs.
Experienced hectic holiday parties where we had to plan the party, shop for the groceries, prepare the meal, entertain the guests and then clean at the end.
We want to help out and make your life easier, tastier and healthier, save you money and free you to do more of the things you love. You deserve to eat well, tasty, authentic and healthy food tailored to your specifications.
And if the thing you love to do is cooking, then by all means, join Foodom and cook with us! Earn some extra money, help another family that doesn’t have the time or capabilities to cook for themselves, and support your community. It takes a village to raise a village.
3. Why Should You Use Foodom? Foodom offers easy, transparent and affordable home meal cooking for everyone. Our cooks will prepare your meal of choice in your own kitchen. We can also make multiple meals to store, which saves you both time and money. We can do the grocery shopping for you and will clean the kitchen after cooking. Foodom cooks cover a wide range of cuisines and diets of all types. Setting up a delicious and healthy meal is just a phone call or a few clicks away. Whether you have special dietary needs, or you don’t have time to cook or just don’t want the hassle of making a meal, we are here to make your life easier, healthier and waste-less. Let us cook for you – it’s the easy choice!
4. In which areas are you operating? We are currently focusing on Sacramento and El Dorado Counties in Northern California. We plan to expand to more areas in the near future.
5. How can I afford a personal cook and how can Foodom cooks save me money? By choosing the Foodom cook to shop for your groceries you can potentially reduce your average grocery spending dramatically. The Foodom cook will buy only what’s needed for the meal without impulse shopping or buying extra quantity beyond what you need—food that you might throw away after. In the United States,* 31% of the edible and available food supply went uneaten. Consumers food waste represented 21% of the available food supply. The mean weekly grocery shopping of a married couple with children in the US** is $224, average consumer food loss or waste is 21%, meaning that the average family with kids in the US throws away $47 worth of food every week. Foodom affordable meal preparation starts at $30 and is offered by all cooks. Grocery shopping starts at $15. Booking a Foodom cook 1-2 times a week could be no extra cost or minimal extra cost to your family by reducing your food waste, and at the same time saving many hours per day thinking about what to cook, grocery shopping, preparing and cleaning up. To enhance the meals you can add affordable add-ons starting at $10. Up to 10 servings it will cost the same, so order more food and enjoy the leftovers for a few days for the same meal cooking price.
6. What should I order and how often? You can order any type of food, either meals from our menu, or you can build your own a-la-carte meals with the dishes on the menus or ask the cooks to prepare your own recipes. The serving size is limited to 10 servings and the size of your cooking dishes. For maximum efficiency, we recommend booking a meal that will serve you 2-3 days with leftovers, and booking a Foodom cook 2-3 times a week to free your time, keep it easy, healthy, interesting and cost efficient.
7. Who are the cooks? Foodom works with highly talented cooks who are passionate about cooking and who have years of meal preparation experience, in specialties that serve a wide range of price points, meal types and cuisines with authentic flavors. Only cooks that have demonstrated our high standards for culinary skill can become Foodom cooks. Open Your Kitchen to a Cooking Revolution!
8. Is it safe to have a cook that I don’t know at my home? Safety is our top priority. All of our cooks have been carefully vetted by our team, and have food handling and safety certification from the state. We do detailed background screening, and our cooks receive additional training by our own cooking professionals to ensure that our clear rules and processes are followed consistently. Foodom’s customer support is available 7 days a week 8am-7pm to ensure the highest quality of service and satisfaction for our customers. We strongly encourage all Foodom users to only work through Foodom for safety, support and ease of use. Our cooks are from your community, aiming to help one another to make life easier and better for everyone.
9. Do I need to be home during the meal preparation? Can my children be at home at that time? You don’t need to be at home during the meal preparation. Please specify in your order how to enter to your home or if you prefer to do it off line, please call us to provide this information over the phone. Place in a visible place in the kitchen the cookware needed for cook and the groceries that do not need to be refrigerated. If you chose to be present, please allow the cook to enter into your home and introduce them to your kitchen. Children must be supervised by a parent or caregiver at all times.
10. Who provides the equipment? While the cooks are cooking in your kitchen, our cooks will provide their own knives. You will need to have a working stove, oven and refrigerator, pots and pans. If you would like us to prepare a meal that involves special equipment such as a grill, spiralizer, instantpot or other device, you will need to provide it. If you want us to make meals with leftovers or meal prep for the week, you’ll need storage containers. We can even provide these for you, at cost added to your order. If you have any questions about your kitchen or storage containers, please contact us and ask! 11. What are the prices? The cooking service prices are available on the menus. You can choose from a wide variety of options, starting from $30 per meal with an option to add extra popular dishes. To make sure we meet your specific needs, you have the option to modify the meals or request recipes that are not on the menu, subject to confirmation by the cook. For most meals and dishes, you pay the same preparation fee for one serving as you do for ten. So if you order 10 servings at $30, that is just $3 per serving! You have the choice of providing your own ingredients or letting us get them for you, from the grocery store of your choice. If we obtain the ingredients for you we will apply the reimbursement cost to your order, along with a $15 shopping fee for one grocery store up to $150 groceries cost. If you would like us to buy in a few different stores or if the cost is higher than $150, the additional cost will be $15 per store and every $150 groceries cost. Our customers normally provide a clean kitchen for the cooks to prepare food for them. If for some reason your kitchen is not clean and clear, our cooks can clean it up for you before they start cooking, this will cost $35 for up to 30 mins of cleaning. Please let us know ahead of time if this is needed so the cook can schedule enough time. We are charging a transaction processing fee to cover Foodom transaction costs so we will be able to operate and develop Foodom to make your life even easier.
12. What is included in the price? What about tipping? Included in the price is the meal preparation, packing and storing if needed, and cleanup after the cooking. If you want us to buy the ingredients for you, the shopping fee covers obtaining and transporting the items. You may tip if you would like to, this is up to you to choose.
13. Do I have to buy full containers of spices, herbs, and oils for one meal?We can purchase spices for your pantry and keep an inventory for future visits. However, we understand that buying full containers of spices, herbs, and oils can be expensive for just one meal and that’s why we choose meals that are popular and often cooked. If a unique spice is needed the cook can buy it by the oz when available at the grocery store. We are open to hear about your preferences and learn about your further needs.
14. What happens if I don’t have time to clean my kitchen before the arrival of my cook? Cooks expect a clean and tidy kitchen work space to make their work efficient and professional. Make sure to tidy up before their arrival so it’s ready for them to create when they arrive. If the kitchen is messy and the cook needs to clean it before, make sure to ask for the pre-cooking cleaning service ($35 for up to 30 minutes of cleaning). If you didn’t order the pre-cooking cleaning service and the cook doesn’t have enough time to clean until their next cooking job, they will take pictures of the kitchen and leave without cooking, you will not be refunded. Cooks will have the opportunity to review patrons after a completed transaction.
15. What if I want to change a menu item? We want to provide you with the meal you want! You can easily customize the meal to fit your needs in the order form in the comments field. You can change your order until it is confirmed by the cook, but once it is confirmed, the cook sets up his/her schedule and will not be able to add changes.
16. If I select an organic meal, will every ingredient be organic? If you are supplying the ingredients, it will be your responsibility to ensure that they meet your standards. If we are shopping, we will ensure that our purchases are 100% organic, unless in the unlikely event that an ingredient is not available in organic. Let us know in the comment section of our order if this is acceptable to you.
17. How do payments work? Once you place your order, we will contact the cook to confirm it. Once the order is confirmed, we will send you an invoice with payment request through Paypal for the meal preparation and the other services you ordered ahead of time. You have the choice of providing your own ingredients or letting us get them for you, from the grocery store of your choice. If we obtain the ingredients for you, we will apply the reimbursement cost and shopping fee to your order after the cooking is completed.
19. Do I need to provide a 1099 to the cook? This is part of the Foodom service to make it easy for all of our users, Foodom will take care of it on the customer behalf for it’s independent contractors cooks.
20. Is there an app I can use to book orders online? Not yet! Foodom is brand new, so we have to work within some limitations for now. We are adding new parts and features to our website, to make it work great on any device, and we will notify you as we add more options online and with an app.
Resources: *Buzby, J.C., Wells, H.F., and Hyman, J. 2014. The Estimated Amount, Value, and Calories of Postharvest Food Losses at the Retail and Consumer Levels in the United States. Economic Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Information Bulletin Number 121 (Feb.). **Bureau of Labor Statistics, The Consumer Expenditure Surveys (CE), Table 1502. Composition of consumer unit: Annual expenditure means, shares, standard errors, and coefficients of variation, Consumer Expenditure Survey, 2017