Cook Tools and Details
Adjust the ingredients measurement scale here by changing this number. 10
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add in the onions and sauté, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, stir in the salt and sugar; cook for another 35 minutes, stirring occasionally (every 5 minutes or so), until onions are caramelized and almost syrupy.
- Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour in the red wine to deglaze the pot, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom and sides.
- Add in the beef broth, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Gently simmer over medium/medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove and discard the herbs.
- Mix in vinegar and taste. Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Reduce heat to low, cover to keep hot while you prepare the bread.
- Preheat oven broiler, with rack 6 inches from the heat source. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and brush both sides with the olive oil. Broil 2-3 minutes, flipping once, until well toasted on both sides. (NOTE: keep an eye on the bread the entire time to ensure it doesn't burn. Every oven is different.) Remove from heat; leave broiler on.
- Arrange oven safe bowls or crocks on a rimmed baking sheet. Fill each bowl 2/3 full with hot soup. Top each bowl with 1 slice toasted bread, and sprinkle with the Swiss, Mozzarella, and Parmesan cheeses.
- Broil until bubbly and golden brown. As it softens, the cheese will fall over the sides of the crock and form a wonderful crusty seal.
Total Time1 hour 35 minutes
Recipe Serving Size10
- 8 tablespoon European style unsalted butter
- 10 yellow onion large, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup Beaujolais red wine
- 64 ounce low-sodium beef broth
- 48 ounce low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 1 loaf French bread sliced 1-inch thick, 1 slice per serving
- 4 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cup Gruyere cheese shredded and at room temperature
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese at room temperature
- 4 tablespoon finely grated Parmesan cheese at room temperature
Cooking Tools Required5-quart saucepot, Cutting board, Ladle, Measuring cups and spoons, Oven, Sharp Knives, Wooden Spatula
Heat in the microwave on medium-high power until heated through or in the oven at 350 degress for 25 minutes.
Calories: 497kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 1374mg | Potassium: 786mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 627IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 405mg | Iron: 3mg
Get the most out of your order
You can get some side dishes for free.
- Start with the main dish, then add the sides.
- You'll see the magic pricing at work.
- The prices will change as you add more dishes to your cart.
- You'll only pay for the total time it takes to prepare everything.