Cook Tools and Details
Prepare the Chicken
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat some of the oil in a dutch oven or multiple heavy skillets to prepare the chicken at the same time. Sear chicken on both sides until golden, about 3-4 minutes each side. Remove from the dutch oven or skillets and set aside.
Prepare the Sauce
- Add remaining oil to the pan. Sauté the onion until transparent, about 3-4 minutes. Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the peppers, carrot, mushrooms and herbs; cook for 5 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- Pour in the wine, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Cook until wine is reduced, about 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Roma tomatoes, and chill flakes. Season with salt and pepper to your tastes. Return chicken pieces to the skillet and continue to cook over the stovetop or in the oven.
Cook on Stove Top
- Mix all of the ingredients together; cover with lid, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer (while stirring occasionally) for 40 minutes or until the meat is falling off the bone. Add in the olives, allow to simmer for a further 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Cook in the Oven
- 5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil divided
- 10 bone-in skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoon Kosher salt or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper or more as needed
- 2 onion medium diced
- 10 clove garlic minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper Large, capsicum, diced
- 1 red bell pepper Large, capsicum, diced
- 2 carrot peeled and sliced
- 16 ounce mushrooms sliced
- 0.75 cup canned pitted black olives
- 10 fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped plus more to garnish
- 4 tablespoon fresh basil chopped plus more to garnish
- 1.5 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup red wine
- 45 ounce canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 ounce tomato paste
- 12 oz Roma tomatoes halved
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
Cooking Tools RequiredDutch Oven, Skillet
TO FREEZE: Transfer the cooled cacciatore into an air-tight container and transfer to the freezer. On the day of serving, thaw it out in the morning and bring it to room temperature. Transfer to a skillet/pan and reheat over low-medium heat until warmed through.
Get the most out of your order
You can get some side dishes for free.
- Start with the main dish, then add the sides.
- You'll see the magic pricing at work.
- The prices will change as you add more dishes to your cart.
- You'll only pay for the total time it takes to prepare everything.