Book a Chef
Chicken Shawarma with Homemade Tahini Sauce
Rated 0 out of 5
$54.17 Cooking Fee
Serving Size: 1/2 a pita, 3oz shawarma, 2-3 tablespoon tahini
Cook Tools and Details
Adjust the ingredients measurement scale here by changing this number. 10
The Chicken Shawarma
- In a small bowl, mix the cumin, turmeric, coriander, garlic powder, sweet paprika and cloves. Set aside the shawarma spice mix for now.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry and season with salt on both sides, then thinly slice into small bite-sized pieces.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl. Add the shwarma spices and toss to coat. Add the onions, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss everything together again. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or more. If you don't have time, you can cut or skip marinating time, it will still be delicious.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Take the chicken out of the fridge and let it sit in room temperature for a few minutes.
- Spread the marinated chicken with the onions in one layer on a large lightly-oiled baking sheet pan. Roast for 30 minutes in the 425 degrees F heated-oven. For a more browned, crispier chicken, move the pan to the top rack and broil very briefly (watch carefully). Remove from the oven.
- Because ovens vary, be sure to check chicken at about 25 minutes or so of roasting/baking and go from there. Chicken is ready when internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
The Tahini Sauce
- Mince the garlic and season with salt
- Add the crushed garlic, tahini paste and lime juice to the bowl of a food processor and blend (it will be thick as it emulsifies.) Add a little bit of water and blend again until you reach the desired consistency.
- Use only a little bit of water at a time until you reach your desired consistency. Generally, tahini sauce should have a runny, salad dressing-like consistency. But, if you prefer tahini more as a dip, simply use less water.
- Transfer the tahini to a serving bowl, and if you like stir in fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!
- Open pita pockets up. Spread a little tahini sauce add chicken shawarma, arugula, and pickles, if you like. Serve immediately!
Total Time50 minutes
Recipe Serving Size10
For the Chicken Shawarma
- 1.5 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1.5 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1.5 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1.5 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1.5 tablespoon paprika
- 0.5 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 onion thinly sliced
- 1 lemon juiced
- 6 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Homemade Tahini Sauce
- 3 clove garlic add more as needed
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1.5 cup tahini paste
- 1 cup lime juice or lemon juice, if you prefer
- 0.5 cup cold water more if needed
- 1 cup fresh parsley fresh chopped parsley leaves stems removed first (optional)
- 5 pita bread
- baby arugula
- dill pickle
Cooking Tools RequiredCutting board, Food Processor, Heavy duty rimmed baking sheet, Measuring cups and spoons, Mixing bowls, Sharp Knives
refrigerate the tahini sauce in a tight-lid container for 2 to 3 days. Warm the shawarma up in a skillet over medium heat, adding a little bit of liquid and tossing the chicken pieces until warmed through. Assemble pita pockets as instructed.
Calories: 616kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 11g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 172mg | Sodium: 799mg | Potassium: 835mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1119IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 5mg
Get the most out of your order
You can get some side dishes for free.
- Start with the main dish, then add the sides.
- You'll see the magic pricing at work.
- The prices will change as you add more dishes to your cart.
- You'll only pay for the total time it takes to prepare everything.