Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Festive Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup
$54.17 Cooking Fee
Serving Size: 1.5 cups of soup with 2 matzo balls
Cook Tools and Details
Adjust the ingredients measurement scale here by changing this number. 10
Matzo Ball Instructions
- While the soup is cooking, make the matzo balls. Whisk eggs in a small mixing bowl with vegetable oil and seltzer water. Use a fork to stir in the matzo meal, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and chopped fresh dill to make a thick batter. Place the batter in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, 30 minutes will be best.
- While the batter is chilling, in a second pot combine 3 quarts (12 cups) of water with a pinch of saffron and 1 tbsp salt. Bring to a simmer, stir to dissolve the salt. Keep the salted saffron water hot until the matzo ball mixture is fully chilled.
- Place a small dish of cold water beside the pot of saffron water. Take the chilled matzo ball batter out of the refrigerator. Bring the saffron water to a simmer. Wet your hands and roll the matzo ball batter into walnut-sized balls, then gently drop them into the simmering saffron water. Wet your hands between each ball; this makes forming them easier. Don't make them larger than walnuts, they'll expand a lot as they cook!
- When all of the matzo balls are in the water, bring back to a low bubbling simmer (not a heavy boil) and cover the pot. Let the matzo balls simmer for 30-35 minutes, keeping the pot covered for at least the first 30 minutes until it's cooked through. Keeping the pot covered will help the matzo balls become fluffy.
- While the matzo balls are cooking, combine all soup ingredients in a large pot (reserve the 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill for later). Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer (around medium heat) and cook for 15-20 mins until the carrots are soft.
- When carrots are soft, remove from the soup the celery root, parsley root and leaves, onion, dill and bay leaves. Leave the carrots, zucchini and celery stalk.
- Add the chopped dill you put aside. Adjust seasoning to taste, adding more salt if desired.
- A note about the matzo balls: this recipe contains baking powder. If you keep kosher, there are, in fact, several brands of kosher for Passover baking powder. It makes for lighter, fluffier matzo balls. If you're not concerned about fluffiness to feel free to omit; your matzo balls will turn out more dense, like "sinkers."
- A note about saffron: Invest in good quality saffron. If a bottle of saffron threads costs less than $10, it’s probably not worth buying. Imitation saffron often sold in a bag under the name "American Saffron" or "Mexican saffron," do not impart the flavor of true saffron-- in fact, they have no flavor at all and are used mostly to color foods.
- 4 carrot sliced into 1/4 inch chunks
- 3 rib celery sliced into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 zucchini sliced 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 onion large rinsed and halved
- 1 celery root peeled and quartered
- 1 bunch fresh dill set a side 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 whole peppercorn
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 clove garlic
- 12 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
Matzo Ball Ingredients
- 4 egg large
- 4 tablespoon avocado oil or light olive oil
- 2 tablespoon seltzer water
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder if making for Passover and keeping kosher, make sure the brand is certified kosher for passover
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- 1 pinch saffron threads optional
Cooking Tools RequiredMeasuring cups and spoons, Mixing bowls, Mixing spoon, Stock pot or >5 Qt pot, Top Stove
Keep the matzo balls separate until ready to serve. Drop the desired amount of balls into the soup, heat the pot before serving, serve 1.5 cups of soup and veggies along with 2 matza balls.
Calories: 209kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 1985mg | Potassium: 307mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 5396IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 1mg
Get the most out of your order
You can get some side dishes for free.
- Start with the main dish, then add the sides.
- You'll see the magic pricing at work.
- The prices will change as you add more dishes to your cart.
- You'll only pay for the total time it takes to prepare everything.