Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Rated 5 out of 5 based on 1 customer rating(2 customer reviews)
Mac and Cheese with Chorizo, Cotija and Aged English Cheddar
Rated 5 out of 5 based on 1 customer rating(1 customer review)
$43.33 Cooking Fee
Cook Tools and Details
Adjust the ingredients measurement scale here by changing this number. 10 people
- Squeeze the chorizos out of their casings and break into bite-size pieces. Place the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat and cook the chorizo until well browned about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess grease.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain through a colander and set aside (do not rinse!).
- Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly butter a 9 X 13 pan. Toss together the pasta, chorizo, and Cotija in the baking dish.
- To prepare the mornay sauce, heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. As soon as the milk starts to steam and tiny bubbles form around the edges of the pan, turn off the heat. Place the butter in a medium saucepan and melt over medium flame. Add the flour and stir with a flat-edge wooden paddle just until the roux begins to take on a light brown color, scraping the bottom to prevent burning, about 3 minutes. Slowly add the milk, chipotle peppers, and cumin, stirring (or whisking) constantly until the sauce thickens enough to evenly coat the back of a spoon–a finger drawn along the back of the spoon should leave a clear swath. Remove from heat and add most of the Lincolnshire Poacher to the sauce–reserve a handful or so for topping–and stir until completely melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Be careful with the salt, as the cheese is already salty.
- Pour sauce over pasta and stir all around to coat. Top with the reserved Cheddar and green scallions. Bake for 25 minutes or until crispy brown on top. Allow the dish to cool for 5 minutes before serving, then garnish with a bit more freshly chopped scallion if desired.
Total Time40 minutes
Recipe Serving Size10 people
- 10 ounce fresh Mexican chorizo about 3 large links
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 16 ounce penne rigate
- 5 ounce Cotija shredded
- 4 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ⅔ teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound shredded cheddar cheese shredded, divided or use Montgomery’s Cheddar, Avalanche’s Clothbound Goat Cheddar, Fiscalini Bandage Wrapped Cheddar, or any hard, well-aged Cheddar
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper freshly ground to taste
- 3 stalk green onion green parts only, minced
Cooking Tools RequiredColander, Grater, Measuring cups and spoons, Mixing spoon, Pyrex baking dish, Saucepan, Saute pan, Whisk
Reheat in microwave on low setting, stirring a couple times until heated through.
Calories: 901kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 53g | Saturated Fat: 33g | Cholesterol: 179mg | Sodium: 1634mg | Potassium: 373mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1689IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 957mg | Iron: 2mg
Get the most out of your order
You can get some side dishes for free.
- Start with the main dish, then add the sides.
- You'll see the magic pricing at work.
- The prices will change as you add more dishes to your cart.
- You'll only pay for the total time it takes to prepare everything.