New York Steak with Mushroom Red Wine Reduction Sauce
$54.17 Cooking Fee
Serving Size: 6 ounces
Cook Tools and Details
Adjust the ingredients measurement scale here by changing this number. 10
- Remove steaks from the refrigerator and pat dry with a paper towel. Generously season steaks on both sides with salt and pepper. Cover and allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Pre-heat grill if you are grilling steaks.
Make the red wine sauce:
- Place the avocado oil in a large saute pan placed over medium heat. When warm add the garlic and shallots. Saute for about 1 minute, until tender. Add the mushrooms and saute a few more minutes until they have lost most of their moisture.
- Add red wine, balsamic vinegar, and thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil over high heat. Allow wine mixture to reduce until thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Add in beef stock, and cook over high heat, until the sauce is reduced and thickened by about ½, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat (strain if desired for a smooth sauce). Discard thyme sprigs, then whisk in butter. Adjust seasonings.
Cook the steaks (pan method):
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed (oven-safe if you prefer your steaks medium-well to well done) pan(s) over medium-high heat. When hot add the oil. Carefully place steaks in the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes (depending on thickness). Turn the steaks, and cook for another 5-7 minutes for medium-rare and longer for medium. For well-done steaks, transfer the pan to a 300-degree oven and continue cooking for 10 more minutes. Place steaks on a platter and top each with a tablespoon of butter. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
To grill steaks:
- If you would like to grill the steaks, pre-heat the grill to medium, and when hot brush down to clean. Using an oiled clean rag, wipe the grates to remove any residue. Place the steaks on the grill and cook according to the above times, moving steaks to cooler areas if well-done is desired.
- Plate steaks, top with sauce, and garnish with parsley.
Rare-cool red center: 125F Medium Rare-warm red center: 135F Medium-warm pink center: 145F Medium Well-slightly pink: 150F Well Done-little or no pink: 160F
- 5 pound New York steak about 1-1 ½ inches thick, cut in half for 6-8 ounce servings
- 4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 teaspoon unsalted butter
For the red wine sauce:
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup shallot mined, about 2 large shallots
- ½ cup crimini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 cup red wine such as Merlot
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
Cooking Tools RequiredSaucepan, Saute pan
Calories: 598kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 195mg | Sodium: 1109mg | Potassium: 839mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 298IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 4mg
Get the most out of your order
You can get some side dishes for free.
- Start with the main dish, then add the sides.
- You'll see the magic pricing at work.
- The prices will change as you add more dishes to your cart.
- You'll only pay for the total time it takes to prepare everything.