Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Vegan French Onion Soup
$75.83 Cooking Fee
Serving Size: 8 oz
Cook Tools and Details
Adjust the ingredients measurement scale here by changing this number. 10
Caramelize the onions
- Heat vegan butter in a large pot over medium heat and melt
- Add onions and cook 20 minutes until onions are caramelized. Stir every few minutes to avoid burning
- Once onions are caramelized and soft, add garlic and thyme. Sauté for 1 minute
- Stir in wine and simmer 5-6 minutes or until the wine is absorbed
Simmer the soup
- Add the vegetable broth, tamari or soy sauce, bay leaf, and stir to combine. Continue to cook until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for at least 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and thyme springs. Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Toast the bread
- Preheat oven to broiler. While the soup is simmering, slice the baguette into 1-inch thick pieces and arrange them in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 2-3 minutes, until the bread is toasted and golden around the edges. Keep a close eye on them so that they do not burn. Remove and set aside.
Broil the topping
- Keep oven on the broiler. Once the soup is ready to serve, place the oven-safe bowls on a thick baking sheet. Ladle the soup into each bowl, then top with a baguette slice and the cheese (about 1-2 on shredded cheese for each).
- Place on an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat and broil for 2-4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Keep a close eye on them so that they do not burn.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately while the soup is hot and bubbly.
- 5 tablespoon vegan butter
- 8 pound yellow onion sliced thin. For 10 servings - about 10 large yellow onions
- 10 clove garlic minced
- 1 ¼ cup red wine White wine can be used or balsamic vinegar 2-3 tablespoons
- 12 cup vegetable broth
- 3 ¾ teaspoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 4 bay leaf
- 1 ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ½ tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 baguette or bread of choice
- 12 ounce vegan cheese grated or sliced
Cooking Tools RequiredCutting board, Measuring cups and spoons, Oven, Saute pan, Sharp Knives, Stock pot or >5 Qt pot, Top Stove
Serve warm. To reheat: keep soup separate from bread and cheese. Reheat soup to 165 F and follow instructions in recipe to prepare bread and cheese. Enjoy!
Calories: 411kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 2806mg | Potassium: 622mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 911IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 138mg | Iron: 2mg
Get the most out of your order
You can get some side dishes for free.
- Start with the main dish, then add the sides.
- You'll see the magic pricing at work.
- The prices will change as you add more dishes to your cart.
- You'll only pay for the total time it takes to prepare everything.