Cook Tools and Details
Adjust the ingredients measurement scale here by changing this number. 10
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat and add the onions. Sauté until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking prepare the rice by first rinsing in a fine-mesh colander. Place drained rice in a medium saucepan and add the water. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cook for
- When the onions are done, turn the heat to medium-high and add the chicken. Cook for several minutes, allowing it to brown up a bit, then add 3 cups water, carrots, and potatoes; cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low and add the apple, salt and curry powder. Cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, make the roux by adding the butter to a small saucepan over medium low heat. When butter has melted, whisk in the flour. Cook until the flour starts to turn a medium gold, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, cayenne pepper, and freshly ground black pepper, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Next add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and honey, mixing well to combine. Whisk in 1 cup water. Once smooth pour roux mixture into the chicken/vegetable pot, stirring to prevent lumps and bring to a boil. Add the peas and turn down to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes until sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked through. Serve over rice.
Total Time1 hour hour
Recipe Serving Size10
For the white rice:
- 2 1/2 cup medium-grain white rice cooked according to package directions
For the curry:
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 onion large, diced
- 2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cup water
- 2 carrot cut into ½-inch discs
- 3 Yukon Gold potato large, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 apple small, peeled, cored and finely grated
- 2 teaspoon Kosher salt more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder S&B brand preferred (or regular curry, but not madras)
- ½ cup frozen peas
For the roux:
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon curry powder S&B brand preferred (or regular curry, but not madras curry)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup water
Cooking Tools RequiredCutting board, Fine-Mesh Strainer, Grater, Kitchen towels, Measuring cups and spoons, Saucepan, Sharp Knives, Spatula, Stock pot or >5 Qt pot, Top Stove
Heat rice and curry separately in the microwave on medium power until heated through. Store rice and curry separately in the refrigerator.
Calories: 410kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 661mg | Potassium: 743mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2316IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 2mg
Get the most out of your order
You can get some side dishes for free.
- Start with the main dish, then add the sides.
- You'll see the magic pricing at work.
- The prices will change as you add more dishes to your cart.
- You'll only pay for the total time it takes to prepare everything.