$32.50 Cooking Fee
Serving Size: 1 biscuit
Cook Tools and Details
Adjust the ingredients measurement scale here by changing this number. 6
For the fruit topping:
- Place 1 ½ cups of the hulled strawberries in a large bowl, and crush them with a potato masher. Slice the remaining 4 ½ cups berries into 4th’s or 5th’s (lengthwise) and stir into the crushed berries along with the sugar. Set the fruit aside to macerate.
For the shortcakes:
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees. In a food processor, pulse the flour, 3 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder, and salt to combine. Scatter the butter pieces over and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about fifteen 1-second pulses. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Mix the beaten egg with ½ cup of heavy cream. Pour the mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture. Using a rubber spatula combine until large clumps begin to form. Turn mixture out onto a floured work surface and lightly knead until dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into a rectangle about ¾ inch thick. Brush the dough with 1 tablespoon of heavy cream and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Flour a 2 ¾” biscuit cutter and cut out 6 rounds. Place 1 inch apart on baking sheet.
- Bake until the shortcakes are lightly browned, about 12-14 minutes. Cool cakes on a wire rack. Meanwhile make the whipped cream.
For the whipped cream:
- Place heavy cream, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a mixer that has been chilled in the freezer for at least 20 minutes. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds until bubbles start to form. Turn speed up to medium and beat for another 30 seconds. Finally turn up to high and beat until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat.
- When cooled split shortcake in half and place bottom of cake on a serving plate. Top with a dollop of fruit, then whip cream. Top with cake top and serve immediately.
- 6 cup strawberries hulled
- 5 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour plus more for dusting the work surface and the biscuit cutter
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter cold cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 egg large, lightly beaten
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream for brushing tops of biscuits
- 2 tablespoon sugar for brushing tops of biscuits
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
- 1 cup heavy cream very cold
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cooking Tools RequiredBaking sheet, Colander, Cooling Rack, Cutting board, Electric Hand Mixer, Food Processor, Measuring cups and spoons, Mixing bowls, Mixing spoon, Oven, parchment paper, Sharp Knives
Store strawberries and whipped cream in refrigerator for up to 4 days and biscuits at room temperature for 2 days or freeze.
Calories: 644kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 152mg | Sodium: 444mg | Potassium: 328mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 1436IU | Vitamin C: 85mg | Calcium: 196mg | Iron: 3mg
Get the most out of your order
You can get some side dishes for free.
- Start with the main dish, then add the sides.
- You'll see the magic pricing at work.
- The prices will change as you add more dishes to your cart.
- You'll only pay for the total time it takes to prepare everything.