Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Classic Gefilte Fish
$97.50 Cooking Fee
Serving Size: 2 pieces
Cook Tools and Details
Adjust the ingredients measurement scale here by changing this number. 10 servings
- In a large pot over medium heat bring fish stock, onion, carrot, celery, parsley, and thyme to a boil. Reduce heat and keep at a simmer.
- Make gefilte fish: In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, heat olive oil. Add onion, carrot, and celery and saute until very soft, about 10 Minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Pulse onion mixture with parsley leaves in a food processor until almost smooth then place in a large bowl.
- Dry the fish out, if it was frozen, squeeze liquids out. Cut fish into large chunks and place in a food processor. Pulse until finely ground but not pureed (you want some texture).
- Add fish, eggs, and matzo meal to onion mixture and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 30-60 minutes.
- Form into 20 fist-sized ovals and place gently fish into simmering stock in a wide pan, spaced out (it will slightly expand while cooking). Let simmer until completely cooked through about 25 minutes. Cook in batches in a few ports in parallel, if necessary.
- Serve on top of endive leaves with horseradish, matzo, and cooked carrots sliced from the stock.
- 12 cup fish stock
- 1 onion cut into wedges
- 2 carrot medium, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 stalk celery cut into large pieces
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
FOR THE GEFILTE FISH
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrot medium, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 3 pound boneless and skinless fish fillet whitefish, carp, and/or pike
- 4 egg large
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 18 tablespoon matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
OPTIONS FOR SERVING
- Endive leaves washed and dried
- Prepared horseradish
Cooking Tools RequiredCutting board, Food Processor, Measuring cups and spoons, Mixing bowls, Mixing spoon, Saucepan, Saute pan, Sharp Knives, Skillet, Spatula, Stock pot or >5 Qt pot, Top Stove
Heat in the microwave on high power until heated through.
Calories: 322kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 134mg | Sodium: 1756mg | Potassium: 891mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4858IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 143mg | Iron: 3mg
Get the most out of your order
You can get some side dishes for free.
- Start with the main dish, then add the sides.
- You'll see the magic pricing at work.
- The prices will change as you add more dishes to your cart.
- You'll only pay for the total time it takes to prepare everything.