Cook Tools and Details
Adjust the ingredients measurement scale here by changing this number. 6
- Place rice in a fine-mesh colander and rinse with cold water. Drain for a few minutes.
- Combine rice and measured water in a medium saucepan (about 2 quarts)
- Place lid on pot and bring rice to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer. Set the timer for 20 minutes.
- When time is up, check your rice for doneness. If it’s good, turn the burner off and let the rice steam (or remove from heat if using an electric burner) for 10 minutes.
- Use a fork to fluff the rice just before serving.
Tips on cooking rice:
- Make sure you have a well-fitting lid for the pot you will be using and keep “peeking” to a minimum.
- Once you have brought the rice to a boil, it needs to be cooked slowly at a low temp. If there is a low simmer burner available it’s best to use it.
- Steam holes indicate your rice is done. Any longer and it will begin to burn and at that point there is no saving it (you can scoop off the top layer, but it will be infused with a burnt smell). Make sure you set your timer just short of estimated finishing time.
- Once your rice is done cooking make sure to let it rest off the heat for 10 minutes.
- Depending on the type of rice and quantity cooked, cooking times and the amount of water used will vary greatly. Make sure to check for your specific type of rice.
Total Time35 minutes
Recipe Serving Size6
- 1 1/2 cup medium grain white rice
- 2 cup water
Cooking Tools RequiredFine-Mesh Strainer, Forks, Measuring cups and spoons, Saucepan with lid, Top Stove
Heat in the microwave, covered, on high power until heated through.
Calories: 169kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 6mg | Potassium: 53mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg
Get the most out of your order
You can get some side dishes for free.
- Start with the main dish, then add the sides.
- You'll see the magic pricing at work.
- The prices will change as you add more dishes to your cart.
- You'll only pay for the total time it takes to prepare everything.