Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
French Onion Soup
$75.83 Cooking Fee
Serving Size: 8 oz
Cook Tools and Details
Adjust the ingredients measurement scale here by changing this number. 10
Caramelize the onions
- Heat stockpot over medium heat, add butter and melt.
- Add sliced onions, black pepper, and garlic powder and sauté 10-15 minutes until onions are caramelized.
- When onions are caramelized, add sherry to pot. Cook with onions until sherry is absorbed.
Simmer the soup
- Add beef broth, bay leaves, thyme springs, Worcestershire, and salt to taste. Continue to cook until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and thyme springs. Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Toast the bread
- Preheat oven to broiler. While the soup is simmering, slice the baguette into 1-inch thick pieces and arrange them in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 2-3 minutes, until the bread is toasted and golden around the edges. Keep a close eye on them so that they do not burn. Remove and set aside.
Broil the topping
- Keep oven on the broiler. Once the soup is ready to serve, place the oven-safe bowls on a thick baking sheet. Ladle the soup into each bowl, then top with a baguette slice and a slice of the cheese.
- Place on an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat and broil for 2-4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Keep a close eye on them so that they do not burn.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately while the soup is hot and bubbly.
- 5 tablespoon butter
- 8 pound yellow onion sliced thin. For 10 servings - about 10 large yellow onions
- 2 ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 cup beef broth
- 5 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup dry sherry
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoon Kosher salt or adjust to taste
- 3 spring fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 10 slice baguette or thick crusty bread, toasted
- 10 slice Gruyere cheese or Provolone, Asiago, Swiss, Gouda, or Mozzarella
Cooking Tools RequiredBaking sheet, Cutting board, Measuring cups and spoons, Oven, Saucepan, Sharp Knives, Stock pot or >5 Qt pot, Top Stove
Serve warm. To keep: store soup without bread and cheese in it. Reheat to 165 F in a pot.
Calories: 438kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 1860mg | Potassium: 831mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 471IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 424mg | Iron: 3mg
Get the most out of your order
You can get some side dishes for free.
- Start with the main dish, then add the sides.
- You'll see the magic pricing at work.
- The prices will change as you add more dishes to your cart.
- You'll only pay for the total time it takes to prepare everything.