Lentil Soup with Collard and Cauliflower
$0.00 Cooking Fee
Serving Size: 12 oz
Cook Tools and Details
Adjust the ingredients measurement scale here by changing this number. 10
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is shimmering, add the chopped onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Pour in the drained diced tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often, in order to enhance their flavor.
- Pour in the cauliflower, lentils, broth and the water. Add 1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper. Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
- Add the chopped greens and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the greens have softened to your liking. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Taste and season with more salt, pepper and/or lemon juice until the flavors really sing. For a spicier soup, add another pinch or two of red pepper flakes.
Total Time40 minutes minutes
Recipe Serving Size10
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil extra virgin
- 2 onion medium chopped
- 4 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 pound cauliflower half of a medium cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 8 clove garlic pressed or minced
- 4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 56 ounce canned diced tomatoes lightly drained
- 2 cup dry lentil picked over and rinsed
- 8 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt more or less to taste or preference
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper Freshly ground preferably, or to taste
- 2 cup collard greens or kale or spinach, chopped, tough ribs removed
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice made from 1 to 2 medium lemon. Start with 1 and increase as needed, to taste
Cooking Tools RequiredCutting board, Measuring cups and spoons, Mixing spoon, Sharp Knives, Stock pot or >5 Qt pot, Vegetable Peeler, Wooden Spatula
Leftovers will keep well for about 4 days in the refrigerator, or can be frozen for several months (just defrost before serving). Reheat on top stove or in microwave until fully warm.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 501mg | Potassium: 933mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 4656IU | Vitamin C: 46mg | Calcium: 127mg | Iron: 5mg
Get the most out of your order
You can get some side dishes for free.
- Start with the main dish, then add the sides.
- You'll see the magic pricing at work.
- The prices will change as you add more dishes to your cart.
- You'll only pay for the total time it takes to prepare everything.