Do You Really Know What’s in Your Olive Oil?
Olive oil is one of the most consumed oils around the world. Why? Because it’s considered one of the healthiest oils. But did you know it is also vulnerable to scams?
Many of these oils have been diluted or mixed with other cheaper, less healthy oils or were made with old olives giving it a bitter, flavorless or unenjoyable taste. Because of this, you are not receiving the benefits you may be wanting or trying to obtain.
The Benefits of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pure olive oil has many health-related benefits that you can easily take advantage of:
- Rich in healthy, monounsaturated fats
- Contains large amounts of antioxidants
- Helps reduce inflammation
- Has been shown to reduce the risk of several diseases, such as Alzheimer’s, cancer, stroke, and diabetes
- Is not associated with weight gain
How to Know if You Bought Good Olive Oil
If you want to reap the benefits of olive oil, you need to know what you are buying.
Here are four ways you can detect good oil vs. bad oil:
1. Olive oil should be in a dark glass bottle. It needs to be stored in a cool dark place. A plastic bottle is too porous and will allow light to shine in.
2. Make sure there is a “harvest” or “batch date” on the back of the bottle. The date indicates when the olives were harvested and can then determine if it’s within a good consumption period (18-24 months from harvest date is best).
3. Don’t purchase bargain oils! They’re a bargain for a reason! Either they are close to the 18-24 month period, or w’re made with cheap oils. BONUS- consume your olive oil within three months of opening.
4. Look for statements on the bottle’s label like “select other oils” or several countries are listed.
The bottom line: Choose a good oil! Check out my tips above to help you next time you’re shopping for your extra virgin olive oils.
About Tasha Rosales
Let’s get healthy together! My name is Tasha Rosales, and I am a wife and mom to three amazing girls. Let me take you from sluggish and overly tired and back to the kind of energy you crave. Learn to improve digestion, gain energy and decrease cravings without restriction but rather, balancing sugars and finding foods that fuel. Get the guidance you need to develop your desired healthy-style through sustainable habits and informed diet changes that are fun, positive and applicable to your lifestyle, not one where you are eating different than the rest of the family. Join me and make leading a healthier lifestyle today! Book a consultation if you are ready to learn more about nutrition labels or how to fuel your unique body. You’ll be sure to leave the consult with a goal or insight to get you moving!
Check out more information about olive oil, healthy eating, pantry organization, and more on Tasha’s Instagram page @wellness.homemade.